Using the TigoSMART app
Systems can be set up and configured in two ways. For small systems, the Tigo SMART Mobile App is a great way to configure the system, see below. For systems of 50 modules or more however, we recommend doing online configuration using the Tigo SMART Website on a desktop PC. This will allow you to take advantage of the larger screen. See "Pre-Commissioning: Create a Tigo System on the App or Website" for details. Either way, the Tigo SMART Mobile App must be used on-site for the final commissioning step called "Discovery".
This article is composed of the following sections. You can jump to a specific section by clicking on any of the following quick links.
- Setup and Monitor
- Site Info
- Site Owner Info
- Select Equipment
- Configure Layout
- Configure Communication
- Planned Turn On
- Download the Powerpoint Version of this Article
This article walks you through the creation and editing of a system with the Tigo SMART Mobile App. For a video run-through, watch this video!
- To proceed with a new installation, press + at the top right of the display.
Note: To service or monitor a system that has already been configured, click on the relevant system.
- Fill in system information and tap 'Create System.'
- Verify that ‘Site Info’ is checked.
- Returning to the ‘Site Info’ will show the system now possesses a ‘System ID’
Note: The ‘system ID’ identifies the installation distinctly and always has to be provided for support
Note: At this point, the new system is now pending.
- Go to 'Site Owner Info.'
- Enter the email address and name of the site owner.
- ‘Site Owner Info’ is not mandatory to setup up the new system and can be entered and edited at any time.
- Saving owner info will send an invitation email to the site owner to setup and view their commissioned system.
- After leaving ‘Site Owner Info’, verify it is checked.
- Go to ‘Select Equipment.’
- Select + at the top right of the display.
- Select the ‘Cloud Connect Advanced’ (CCA).
- Enter a unique name for every CCA or leave the default name.
- Enter the number of gateways that are connected to the CCA.
- Enter the CCA serial number manually or scan the bar code.
- Allow the Tigo app to access the camera.
- Select Done and repeat procedure for every CCA that is in the system.
- When ‘Cloud Connect Advanced’ has completed, select ‘Inverter and PV Modules.’
- Name the inverter or leave the default name.
- Choose the inverter model, the number of MPPTs and the connected CCA.
- Select the manufacturer and model of the PV modules.
Note: If you wish to add an inverter or module that’s not in the list click the “+” sign at the top right corner.
- Assign the number of strings and modules to each MPPT.
- Toggle the uneven strings switch if the number of panels in the strings differ.
- Select Done.
Note: You can change the inverter and module specifications here at any time.
- Verify that ‘Select Equipment’ is checked.
- Go to ‘Configure Layout’.
- Place the CCA by tapping on a position on the layout plan.
- Repeat for all CCA’s and inverters.
- Place inverters by tapping on a position on the layout plan.
- Place the modules one by one according to their physical placement on site.
Note: It is highly recommended to place the modules here exactly as they are installed. This will guarantee accurate site map and easier maintenance down the line .
Note: Press down on a component to change its location
- After all equipment has been placed, the modules have to be registered.
- Select ‘Register’.
- Select a gray module in the layout to register it by entering in or scanning its barcode.
- You must register all modules.
- Enter the module’s serial number manually or scan it.
Note: You can change the modules serial numbers here at any time.
- Finish the registration of the layout.
- Verify that ‘Configure Layout’ is checked.
- Go to ‘Configure Communication’.
Connect CCA to Smartphone
You can use either a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection to connect the smartphone to the CCA. Through this connection, you can enter a local Wi-fi password and run the connection test.
You may need to allow location access for Bluetooth and WiFi to work properly in the app. This is a requirement for both iOS13 and Android devices. In these cases, you will see no WiFi information under “Connect to CCA.” Below are some solutions.
- Allow Permission Request
a. You may see a pop-up requesting location permission when you start the app. If so, tap continue.
b. When asked to allow Tigo SMART to access device’s location, tap allow.
c. If you have no more issues, disregard the rest of these steps. Otherwise, try solution 2.
- Open side menu and tap on the Map
a. If a request for Location access pops up, enable it. This should address the issue, disregard the rest of the steps.
b. If nothing pops up, try solution 3.
- Change permissions in your device’s settings
a. Close the Tigo SMART app
b. Go to your Settings
c. Scroll down to apps
d. Tap on Tigo SMART
e. Select Location/Permissions
f. Select "While Using the App"/Enable Location
If you still experience issues after trying these solutions feel free to contact our support team. Our contact information can be found here; https://www.tigoenergy.com/contacts/.
Connect via Bluetooth
- Tap Bluetooth button.
- Tap the serial number of the CCA you wish to connect with.
Note: Please only use the Tigo Smart App to access devices, never use the phone’s bluetooth pairing screen.
Connect via Wi-Fi
- Tap the Wi-fi button.
- Tap the CCA’s Wi-Fi connection in the phone’s settings.
Note: Using the Wi-Fi connection disconnects the smartphone from the local Wi-Fi.
Note: Connecting the phone to the CCA via Wi-Fi mandates leaving the app and coming back to it once done. You do not have to close the app while doing that.
After your Smartphone is connected to the CCA (either Bluetooth or Wi-fi), Tap ‘Next’.
Connect CCA to Internet
Note: You can use either an Ethernet cable or local Wi-Fi connection to connect the CCA to the Internet.
- To connect with Ethernet cable, plug the cable into the Ethernet port on the CCA. Then tap Ethernet.
- To connect the CCA via Wi-Fi, tap Wi-Fi then choose the local Wi-Fi connection from the list and enter the password in the dialog that displays.
- Select ‘Run Test’.
NOTE: The ‘Run Test’ feature checks the Internet connection of the CCA.
- If there is no Ethernet cable connection, these are the expected results:
- Scroll the screen and tap Done.
Select ‘Next’ in the ‘CCA Network Settings’ to go to ‘Discovery’.
Note: Before starting Discovery, make sure that your equipment and layout is completely setup, all serial numbers are correct, everything is electrically properly installed and CCA’s and modules are connected to power supplies and running.
- Select ‘Start’.
- Discovery will run in the background. Select ‘Exit’ when it finishes. You may disconnect from the CCA, and reconnect at a later time to check Discovery progress.
- In case the connection between the smartphone and the CCA is via Wi-Fi, reconnect the smartphone to the local Wi-Fi.
- Verify that ‘Configure Communication’ is checked.
- Select ‘Planned Turn On’.
- If the connection between the smartphone and the CCA is Wi-Fi, reconnect the smartphone to the CCA.
- Select ‘Set Planned Turn On Date’ and choose a day.
- Verify that ‘Planned Turn On’ is now marked off.
Note: Setting a Planned Turn On Date In the future will put the system in Ready mode. Once the date has passed it will then become active.
Also see our article "Set up Inverters, Meters & Sensors" for setting up optional devices with the TigoSMART mobile app.
Click below to download the App Manual 3.1