TAP Placement Requirements
With mesh, the TS4s automatically act as repeaters relaying messages when required. For the signal to make a hop to another TS4, the TS4s must not be more than 10m (33ft) apart.
If there is a gap between arrays of modules, make sure the distance is within the 10 meter limit.
The maximum range of a TAP, combined with multiple repeater hops, is a maximum of 115ft / 35m. If modules are located farther from the TAP, or if there are physical obstructions in the array (HVAC units, gables, parapets, drop-roofs, dormers, etc), you may be required to use additional TAPs.
PV Module Arrangements Affecting Wireless Communication
Some PV module arrangements will affect the signal strength and/or communication between TAPs and TS4s. Here are some common module position arrangements, and the related concerns:
Excessive Gap Arrangement
Obstructions Reducing Signal Strength
(Even if the TAP and TS4 are less than the required 10 meters apart)
Once you are ready to install a Tigo system, it's time to create a layout of the array(s) with the placement of the TAP(s). This is important, as a good placement will allow your modules to maintain solid communication for both data monitoring and Rapid Shutdown (RSD).
- Start with a drawing or plan of the system using the CAD tool of your choice. The drawing must show physical scale/dimensions and stringing. Make note of any obstacles which may obscure the wireless signals of the TAPs.
- Using the TAP and Mesh guidelines, layout your TAPs across the system and identify how many CCAs and TAPs you will need.
- Once you have your TAPs and CCAs laid out, assign each string to an individual TAP and CCA.
- Assign each inverter to a single CCA (unless you are using central inverters). Do not split a string across more than one inverter or CCA.
- Add TAP locations to the middle of each array (for max coverage), and clearly define the areas of each TAP's coverage (color coded):
For an example of what your completed design might look like: Sample TAP CCA Layout - Large Systems
For small systems with uncomplicated layouts, Tigo offers a TAP Placement Tool that can help you find the best placement for the TAPs.
For additional assistance, contact our Sales Engineers: firstname.lastname@example.org