If your PV layout isn't very complicated, we have a TAP Placement Tool that can show you the best placement for TAPs. If your layout is large or complicated, read on.
For background information needed please read:
and TAP and Mesh: https://support.tigoenergy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001523968
Once you know your system will be using the Tigo TS4 products with module level monitoring, it's time to create a layout. This will allow your modules to communicate for rapid shutdown and monitoring purposes.
You will lay out TAP's throughout your array - these will communicate with TS4. You will add CCA's to control the TS4's via the TAP communication antennae. Below is the process to follow, and we have included an example of what your design might look like ( also attached to this article called "Sample TAP CCA Layout.pdf") for reference.
- Start with a drawing or plan of the system. The drawing must show physical scale/dimensions and stringing. Make note of any obstacles which may obscure the wireless signals of the TAPs.
- Using the TAP, CCA and Mesh guidelines, (summary pasted below) use your CAD tool of choice, Microsoft PowerPoint, or other drawing tool to layout your TAPs across the system and identify how many CCAs and TAPs you will need. Selective deployment and the use of TS4 Duo may affect this.
- Go back to the “TAP Placement” article for a refresher of how to place your TAPs.
- Once you have your TAPs and CCAs laid out, assign strings to them. You will assign each string to an individual TAP and CCA, and assign each inverter to a single CCA. (unless you are using central inverters) Note the below:
- You can’t split a string across more than one inverter or CCA – this is why stringing information is needed.
- It is usually best to make a spreadsheet with this information.
Seeing an example will make this process and the intended outcome clearer. If you have not already, download the attached file or go to this link.
TAP/CCA Communication Guidelines
- The maximum number of TS4 units per TAP is 300
- The maximum number of TS4 units per CCA when using TAP is 900 (when using the TS4-A-Duo, max number of panels per CCA is 1,800).
- The maximum number of TAPs per CCA is 7. (you will only reach this limit if your array is very spread out, typically each CCA will have 3-5 TAPs)
- A TAP can communicate with UHD-Core TS4 that are within a maximum line-of-sight radius (no obstructions) of 115ft (35m). If there are TS4 units more than 115ft (35m) away from the TAP, use additional TAPs
- All modules in the same string must be assigned to the same CCA.
- All strings on the same string inverter must be assigned to the same CCA.
For best results:
- TAP needs to be placed within 33ft (10m) of at least five TS4s
- Allow 50ft (15m) line of sight spacing between TAPs
- Place TAP near the center of the array
- Details: https://support.tigoenergy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001532327-TAP-Placement
Remember, we are here to help!
If you want us to verify your design, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our expert Sales Engineers will assist you.
And if you are done with your design, it's time to select your CCA kit so you know what to order!