Adding an RSD switch to a Tigo EI system enables pushing one button to quickly stop DC current flow from all solar modules connected to the EI system. You can add a switch by connecting a third-party emergency stop switch to the EI Link component of a single- or three-phase system.
To add an RSD switch, you will:
- Obtain Required Hardware
- Mount and Wire the Switch
- Enable the Inverter Shutdown Setting
- Test the RSD Switch
Obtain Required Hardware
To add an RSD switch, obtain the following:
- One emergency stop button switch in a waterproof, outdoor enclosure:
- 1NO1NC, four position
- Double pole, single throw (DPST)
- Minimum 440V operating voltage, 10A current rating
- One T-568B-standard CAT5/6 cable
A waterproof male RJ-45 connector is included in the EI Link Accessories bag.
Mount and Wire the Switch
Mount the RSD switch within a few feet of the inverter or service entrance outside the residence. It should be clearly visible and accessible to first responders and maintenance workers.
To wire the EI Link NO/NC terminal block:
- Shut down the EI system and open the EI Link box.
- At the NO/NC terminal block in the lower right, remove the blue jumper wire that connects the two NC terminals.
- Remove the heat-shrink tubing from the two unattached wires adjacent to the NC terminals.
- Connect the wires to the two NC terminals and close the link box.
To connect a CAT5/6 cable:
- Attach one end of the CAT5/6 cable to the waterproof RJ-45 connector and plug it into the E-Stop port on the bottom of the EI Link.
- Route the unterminated end of the CAT5/6 cable into the RSD switch.
- Connect the wires to the four switch terminals:
- NO #1: orange and orange/white
- NO #2: green/white and blue
- NC #1: blue/white and green
- NC #2: brown/white and brown
Enable the Inverter Shutdown Setting
To enable the RSD switch setting at the inverter:
- Press enter (the right-most button), select Settings, and use the up and down buttons to enter your password (default = 2014).
- Scroll to select Advanced Settings > Shutdown and select Enable.
Test the RSD Switch
Restart the EI system. Once it generates current, press the RSD switch to test that voltage drops to <.6V per solar module connected to the inverter.
- If the grid is on, the inverter display screen will show Waiting (SHUT).
- If the grid is off, the inverter display screen will gradually turn off.
If the grid is on and you release/disengage the RSD switch, the inverter display screen will show Waiting (60s) followed by Normal.