Yes, a system Discovery can be started at any time of day, but it is advised to Discover a system during low-irradiance (at the start of day / morning).
- The Discovery and confirmation process can take a while with certain systems, and it is more likely to complete within the day, if started as close to day break as possible. This is due to the Tigo TS4s requiring sunlight in order to be active for the confirmation process. If Discovery is initiated at nightfall, the Data Logger (CCA, CC, MMU) will continue to confirm the Tigo MLPEs by serial number after the next sunrise.
- Discovery during maximum irradiation (mid day) can sometimes expose design issues like reverse current (parallel string mis-match) and over-current, etc. It is considered safest for the system components (and installers) to perform Discovery at the start of day, when there is less irradiance.
Note: Discovery is a one-time event that establishes your Tigo System. It is the CCA's command to download and install the MLPE serial numbers (from when the installer created the online build). This takes a short time to complete, but the confirmation of the individual MLPEs can take up to 24 hours, depending on the size of the system.
Can I re-run a Discovery?
Discovery is a one-time process. It is not necessary to re-run a Discovery at a later date.
Discovery is only the 10 minute download process where the Data Logger receives the serial numbers and the communication protocol from the cloud. After this, the system goes through a secondary confirmation process, where the MLPE units are each confirmed (usually 30 minutes, but can take longer for large systems).
If you have recently changed aspects of your already discovered system, online (like adding PV Modules, inverters, etc), the Tigo Cloud will automatically send an update to the system and you should see the changes online within 30 minutes to an hour.
What about replacement of the Data Logger?
Discovery is only necessary if the Data Logger has been replaced or upgraded. If you have replaced your Data Logger, please Contact Tigo Energy Support for assistance.
You will be required to supply this information:
- System ID or Name
- Physical street address of system
- Serial number of the Old Data Logger
- Serial number of the New Data Logger